Friday, November 25, 2011

A Better Basic?

Remember way back in August, when I patched up an sdlBasic interpreter for the zipit and mentioned that there was more than one sdlBasic.  Well, there's been some lamenting lately on the zipit IRC that I shoulda picked a different one.  A better basic.  SdlBasic.  It's more shinier, and it comes with sound!  Ok, whatever.

Anyhow, I split the difference between the gp2x and linux makefile settings and compiled a version of the runtime for the zipit.  I still need to package it all up with some better zipitized example programs because it wants to run at 640x480, but the zipit is only 320x240.  The gp2x runtime package came with some patched .sdlbas files for 320x240, but they also had the keyboard controls modified to use the joystick instead.  Once again I split the difference and took the keyboard code from the original beast.sdlbas file and the screen size fixes from the gp2x code.  This is what it looks like with me fumbling around, trying to hold a camera and press the zipit alt-number keys to load the various .mod music samples. 



I think it shows a whopping 25 FPS!  35 if I run it without the music.  Shiny!

Files are here for now.

sdlbasic-iz2s.zip
sdlbasic-iz2s-src.tar.bz2

No comments:

Post a Comment