Friday, March 30, 2012

Where's the Beef?

The goodies you seek are here. and/or here.  Read on if you want to know why.

But first, a note about the goodies.  Much of it is intended for either iz2s or iz2jffs.  They're basically the same thing except iz2jffs is much smaller and resides on the internal   flash, whereas iz2s is installed on an SD card.  Both are hacked up systems that make use of the stock kernel that comes pre-installed on the zipit.  It's an ancient kernel, but I like it for my purposes.  Now since the entire thing is hacked together there's no real package management system for beginners.  Sorry about that.  You might just have to learn your way around the linux file system if you want to get a lot out of this.

Anyhow, if you want to use lots of this stuff, then your best bet is to  boot from an iz2s SD card.  Otherwise, if you know what you're doing, you can use all of the goodies with an iz2jffs setup, but it takes a little extra work to get it to recognize the libraries and paths used by the stuff.  The addz goodie pack does this for you for some of the older goodies that can't possibly fit on the jffs.  You'd have to do something similar to the addz pack to adapt the newer goodies to work with the jffs.  I may do it someday, but right now I'm booting from the SD card most of the time.

And now for the story of the goodie bag...

It's been said that the internet giveth and the internet taketh away.  And sometimes that's true.  It's also been said that the internet never forgets, but that's another story.  This one is about give and take.  Previously my cable provider of 10 years decided to eliminate their crappy (but free!) web hosting service because absolutely nobody was using it, except me.  So the Zipit Goodie Bag had to pack up and move.  Rkdavis graciously provided a new home for it, but it's fallen into a bit of disrepair lately.  I suspect he's taken in too much raspberry pi vapor, and will be back when the buzz wears off.

In the meantime I've been keeping things patched together by hosting new goodies at datafilehost.com.  But already some of the links have gone dead due to lack of interest.  Imagine that!  My 40MB IZ2S emacs package has gone missing due to lack of downloads.  Don't you people realize the awsome power of a fully operational emacs?  Even my own son has turned against me, recently declaring allegiance to vi instead of emacs.  I've seen this movie before and let me just say, it doesn't end well for the zipit.

But now Dronz has provided the Zipit Goodie Bag with a new summer home in France.  So it's time for some spring cleaning.  I'm planning to prune all the dead links in the blog and redirect them to this post, where I still have the editing power to keep things up to date.  From now on, this post will tell you to where all the goodies actually reside.

Here's the Zipit Goodie Bag Summer Home, including the new jffs goodies.
And here's the old tried and true (but in need of an update) Zipit Goodie Bag.

4 comments:

  1. Oops ! it was a vegan meal !
    Added the beef, ready for bbq.
    Added "learn emacs" in my todo list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful. If you put it on your todo list, it may be there forever. You never finish learning emacs because it does everything. Do want to host the 40MB emacs package? If so, I could track it down and upload it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this emacs package in my archives.
    It is hosted now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Gives me an excuse to chuckle over this, again. http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_fun.html

      Delete