Monday, November 7, 2011

2nd Rate Utilities

This has not been a particularly fun week.  Winter arrived a wee bit early this year with a foot of sticky wet snow that plastered our third world electric grid, just recently recovered from the previous hurricane destruction.  Once again the local utilities proved to be not quite up to the task of restoration.  It's been a long, long 9 days so far without power and with temperatures most nights well below freezing.  Needless to say, all software projects are currently on hold. 

I did manage to get online (for a couple of minutes) only to find an email from my ISP announcing their nefarious plan to delete all my web files within a few short weeks.  Nice.  The Zipit Z2 Goodie Bag is now homeless.  Oh well.  The current location wasn't all that convenient with it's relatively tiny 20MB partitions.  It looks like I can get 100MB for files and a wiki for free on google sites, so it'll probably be moving there once the power company gets me some electricity.  And maybe I'll cancel cable TV to teach that ISP a lesson.  I haven't really missed it.  I just wish I could do the same with the local power monopoly...

No comments:

Post a Comment