Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Poor Man's GPS

Yeah, I know.  I really gotta go back and finish up some of the stuff I started.  But hey, sometimes you just gotta take the easy pickins.  My setup at home is still a mess, but I finally got a PC with Windows 7 on it at work.  So I naturally  wanted to test some things.  One of those things was VirtualBox, so I figured maybe I could start that up with quickie test of the IZ2S builder VM.  And coincidentally I'd just stumbled upon a picture of the PSP-Maps program running in glorious 320x240 pixels on the Caanoo.  Turned out all I needed was a few makefile tweaks to get it built for IZ2S.  And it seems to run ok too.  Woo-hoo!  Google maps on the zipit!

I tweaked the button mappings a bit so you can press the Zipit key and type a location with the keyboard. The arrow keys pan.  The +- volume keys zoom.  The <> keys toggle various map display modes.  And the Escape key brings up the menu. 

I was able to pan and zoom into NYC without any trouble, so I'd say it's useful already.  Here it is.

pspmaps-iz2s.zip
iz2s_libs.zip
IZ2S Makefile.

Source code
Tutorial

6 comments:

  1. Bonjour,
    I think I, miss something in my libs because like gmenu, pspmaps launches, but does not display graphics on my Z2. Can you send me your zipped lib directory at prototypeur at free dot fr ? Thanks.
    Dom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re,
    If you send me me a mail, communicate me your adress, before I order my Z2s, I can add a 8 pack to make sent and offer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonsoir,
    PSP-maps works ! The IZ2S libpng.so.3 was faulty, and yours is the good one. Can you add it to your archive ?
    Gmenu2x works too now for me. I did not launch it properly, cd /mnt/sd0/gmenu then /mnt/sd0/gmenu/gmenu2x
    Thanks a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll add the updated libpng. I also have a psp-maps update that lets you enter locations via the kbd instead of the arcade style text entry. But it's ASCII only right now. I'd like to see if I can make it do utf8 unicode with the font from the dgclock project and a few code changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generally, all internet recognizes unaccented french...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose, but I'd like to see if I can do utf-8 without a ton of extra libs. I updated the package and it *might* do unicode, but I haven't even managed to get international chars to work in the console yet, so probably not. Anyhow, it'll never work with a sticky Alt key because of an SDL bug.

    ReplyDelete