Monday, April 25, 2011

Blinker-be-Gone

Ok, so that pesky blinking text cursor interfering with all the SDL programs on IZ2S was starting to drive me nuts.  I know, there's a workaround, but who wants to make yet another wrapper script for every little SDL program I might happen to churn out.  But you know what?  I already made a new SDL lib for the ALSA sound support, so why not also patch it to get rid of that pesky blinking cursor.  Turns out the SDL_fbevents.c file already was already opening /dev/tty0 to access the keyboard, so I could also use that file descriptor to write the "\x1b[?25l" hide cursor escape sequence from the wrapper scripts whenever SDL switches into graphics mode.  One simple line of code and the nasty blinker is banished forever!  About time.

So I updated the SDL lib in here:  sdl-salsa-iz2s.zip


Still gotta replace it in all the other zip packages though...

Meanwhile I have a patch for directfp that might work, but only glinks uses directfb so far, and it still needs a wrapper script to load a different keymap.  So I'm gonna hold off on that patch.

I'm also sticking with a script for mplayer since it's a big static executable and apparently it works directly in the current tty rather than opening a free tty for the graphics.  So it needs a slightly different wrapper.


Here's what it looks like all cleaned up with the no-blink wrapper script.  You'll have to fetch the actual mplayer-rc2 executable from IZ2S 2.04.  This is just the wrapper and a config file that tells it to print as little as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment