Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Snack Attack

While awaiting the imminent arrival of my new zipit gps toy I decided to try and attempt to resurrect an ancient openwrt-zipit build setup that I'd installed long ago on a usb drive.  You know, just in case I needed to work some more magic on the openwrt-zipit gpsd code patches.  It actually went much better than I expected, really, so I figured maybe I could fix up some needy abandoned packages in my spare time, instead of twiddling my fingers.  Idle hands and all that...

One such needy package was the burgerspace game.  I found some minor makefile quirks that needed fixing to get it and it's companion game library libflatzebra to build.  So I patched them up and hoped for the best.  Nope.  Apparently nobody ever noticed it required a 672x520 SDL window.  How did that ever work on the nanonote?  I believe that's where the original openwrt package came from.  Anyhow, I verified it worked just fine at 640x480, so all we needed to do was cut everything in half for the 320x240 screen on the zipit.  So that's what I did.  I chopped out half the raster lines, and half of the pixels in the lines that were left.  It worked, but you couldn't read the instructions or the score.  That's no fun.

Fortunately I remembered some old raster tricks from days gone by and did a quick search for fast color pixel averaging.  Yeah, that's the trick I had in mind.  I overloaded the SDLflip function in libflatzebra, pasted in the code, and voila!  It works.
I love the sound it makes when chef gets bonked by the sausage.

You can read the score without too much trouble, and if you squint real hard you can almost make out the rest of the text.  Now I just need to find some more 640x480 SDL games to convert, quickly before I forget...

The packages in mozzwald's openwrt-zipit repository are up to date, so you can install it on an openwrt zipit with opkg.  I also made an IZ2S build.

burgerspace-iz2s.zip
 


* By the way, the title of this post is indeed a nod to perhaps one of the greatest record album covers, ever.  But I'm sure you knew that already.


Listening to "The Problem" or the last two minutes or so of "The Party" always brings back a flood of memories from weekends at engineering school.  Heh.  So long, Rick.

2 comments:

  1. Hello my friend! I would like to tell you that this write-up is awesome, great written and include almost all important info. I recently came to know about http://toysuae.com/, their Toys In GCC are very effective.
    Toys In GCC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I'm unclear as to what's the intent of that comment. Perhaps it's supposed to be a comment spam advertisement for some toy store in the UAE?

      Anyhow, the fractured English reminded me of the infamous goat vomit comment https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/shibboleth-users/EjvS2Cgio6c and re-reading that made me smile. So the I'll let this one stay.

      Delete