Thursday, December 27, 2012

Nothing to see here, again.

Not much happening here.   I'm working very slowly on an upgrade to the flipclock that makes use of the sfont image from the openwrt gmenu2x to display something useful in the large blank space at the bottom of the screen, without resorting to ttf.

I need to patch sfont to handle all the extra characters in the gmenu2x font.png file.  There is already an sfont extension for unicode out there, and also nfontc from nfont which does latin1.  I may try to use one of those, or code it myself.  I'm not sure at this point.  I also need to work on fading the font so it's not so bright in the clock app.  Here's a picture of the work in progress.  Pretty exciting, eh?


Update:

Naturally I got sidetracked from this endeavor almost as soon as I posted the picture above.  I discovered how to build upx with the magic lzma code for 20% smaller executables on the jffs.  I estimate I can possibly save up to half a megabyte on the jffs by recompressing the 10 largest executables.  Here's the new upx executable.

upx_iz2s_lzma.zip

And here are some recompressed links browser executables to show the improvement.  I also removed libtiff from all but the largest one, since I've been using links without it for a while now on my openwrt zipit and haven't missed it yet.

links_iz2s_lzma.zip

Now that's exciting.

And finally, here's the dronz super special links, recompressed along with a few other big programs.

big-programs-lzma.zip

Oops, that was not the super special links, but maybe this one is?

links-latin-ebook-lzma.zip

And here are a few small links executables for openwrt.

links-wrt-lzma.tar


15 comments:

  1. Happy New Year !
    What switch do you use to upx --lzma links ?
    Because even with a swap and a lot of patience,
    I only got segmentation faults. Well, smaller
    programs compress easily, and this new lzma upx
    is a great improvement, but I like too much the
    special glinks you gave to me, latin with ebook
    patch and space key to smooth-scroll. Can you
    compile it without libtiff and post it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The links.latin file inside the links_iz2s_lzma.zip file posted should the special glinks you're looking for. Let me know if it's not because I've decided that's what I want to put on the jffs now that there's more room.

    I've been doing most of of my upxing in the scratchbox VM that I use to build the software because it's so much faster. I'll have to try a large file on the zipit someday.

    Unfortunately I wasted most of the time I saved searching for the un-upxed original programs so I could recompress them. I only just now realized upx -d gives me back the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the same version, but with the ebook patch.
    http://prototypeur.free.fr/links-latin-ebook.zip
    I might consider installing myself a VM someday,
    SD card swap is not efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. links-latin-ebook keeps segfaulting :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you can remind me what was the special ebook patch, I'll try to rebuild your links from the source code, and without the tiff. I'm old, so I forgot what was special about your links build.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm old too. It was the zpub patch,
    http://macrofig.blogspot.fr/2012/05/return-of-zpub.html
    http://macrofig.blogspot.fr/2012/05/putting-links-on-diet.html
    And if it's not too difficult, it could be interesting to have shift-space doing smooth-scroll-up, I read a lot with glinks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you saying the M and R key patch is not in the 3 links executables in links_iz2s_lzma.zip above? I must be getting senile. I could swear I included that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This, and the thin slider, and the cool background color...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I found the proper code. It was on the laptop that died.

    I've added the shift-space key. What do you think of slug's other proposed changes? He wants:

    Up arrow on dpad = smooth scroll (like space)

    Down arrow on dpad = scroll up (like shift-space)

    Left arrow on dpad = scroll left (like ,)

    Right arrow on dpad = scroll right (like .)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not bad if it is easy to scroll from link to link, ex. next link = space, prev = tab. But it is not how glinks is mapped on a real PC keyboard, and this could disturb multi-platform users.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your current links already has these:

    Tab = next link

    shift-tab = prev link

    BS = back to previous site from history.

    Combined with slug's proposed changes to the arrow keys it makes links on the zipit more like Firefox which is the browser I actually use on other platforms. So I find it less confusing with his changes.

    Do you know anyone who uses links on the zipit AND on another platform?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, not really. Effectively, it is the best solution to mimick a real browser.I just thought that space and tab is better than tab and shift-tab to scroll the links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try this.

    http://www.datafilehost.com/download-7d5bf9e6.html

    I added slugs changes. Since left,right scroll is now on the dpad arrow keys I repurposed < and > to navigate the URLs in addition to tab and shift-tab. Space and shift-space should scroll up and down. I also added pageup, pagedown to alt-up and alt-down (and maybe even shift-up and shift-down).

    I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Getting old makes changing habits uneasy.
    After more use, I must recognize that I
    like it very much too.

    ReplyDelete