Monday, November 26, 2012

Junk in the Trunk

It's getting near time to roll out another release of the iz2jffs.  Over the past 6 months or so I've put together a handful of small incremental improvements, that taken together, add up to a significantly better system.  Well, I like it better anyhow.

However before I get to that, I think I need to clean out the attic, so to speak.  I've got a bit of a backlog of minor goodies that never quite seemed worthy of a full blog post.  Some are hardly even worth a mention, but I need to push them out to clear my conscience.  It may take a few days to find them all and clean them up, so I'll start this out as something of a todo list and flesh it out as I go.

Most of this stuff runs on IZ2S (or iz2jffs if you can fit it).


There's the 10K imgv image viewer, and the larger zgv image viewer (already blogged).

I have a new IZ2S build of the rexima mixer that scales down better for use with a screen multiplexer.  (I might try to squeeze dvtm onto the jffs).

rexima-resize-iz2s.tgz

I built the 70K Frequency (fz) IRC client for IZ2S so I could have a scrollback buffer.

fz-irc-iz2s.zip

But then I figured out how to fix the keymap file to use the scrollback buffer already built into the fbcon console.  This puts the scrollback on the shifted volume keys:

    shift keycode 74 = Scroll_Backward
    shift keycode 78 = Scroll_Forward

I wanted a smaller dialog program for the jffs so I built a 70k lxdialog.

lxdialog-iz2s.zip

But I needed more options so I configured a lite 100K dialog executable instead.

dialog-iz2s-slim.zip

Then I built a smaller libncurses.so using the configure options from openwrt.  I recompiled dialog (again) to 40k, and dvtm to 22K, with both using ncurses as a shared lib.  This should fit about the same space on the jffs as the old dialog executable.   Now I need to find some more tiny ncurses programs to really make the shared ncurses lib worth it.

dvtm-dialog-curses-jffs.tgz

I've got some settings for the links browser for sampling internet radio with mpg123 that I blogged about a while back.   So I built a lite 50K mpg123 for use on the iz2jffs.  It uses the same libmpg123 shared lib as gmu to save space.

mpg123-iz2jffs-shared

There's a new version of bc, but I already blogged that one.  However I built sdlcalc before I figured out how to fix bc.

sdlcalc-iz2s.zip

I'm working on the nanoglk interactive fiction viewer.  Here's a screenshot.


I  still need to work out the font settings, which should fix the status line and make it readable.  I compiled a 10K SDL ttf font viewer program (sfontview) from puppy linux to help me with this.  I suppose it could fit on the jffs if you wanted to put it there.

sfontview-iz2s.zip

Here's another screenshot of nanoglk using the liberation fonts that I already had on my openwrt zipit.  Except for the status line, I like the DejaVu font much better, so this still needs a little work.  I probably have to bite the bullet and install the whole list of DejaVu fonts from the openwrt zipit package repository.


Here are some test builds of nanoglk.  Turns out my IZ2S zipit had a pile of DejaVu fonts in the /mnt/sd0/share/fonts/dejavu directory (probably installed there when I was testing netsurf, and/or fltk) so I went with that for the IZ2S build.

nanoglk-zipit-wrt-liberation-fonts.tgz
nanoglk-iz2s.zip

I feel really guilty about withholding the bunjallo browser executable, but its still more of a proof of concept than even a work in progress.  

I need to stash the openwrt Makefile for pspmaps somewhere, and maybe post the openwrt pspmaps package if I haven't done that already.  Hmm, looks like mozzwald already made a pspmaps package on github so I added the missing sdl_gtk lib to the DEPENDS line in that Makefile to get it compiling again in the nightly builds.  Unfortunately the nightly builds appear to have stopped sometime mid-November.  I'll have to try and get them started again.

And I gotta put the IZ2S sources for the naim chat client somewhere safe as well.

naim-src-iz2s.tgz

Last but not least, there's an IZ2S port of slug's gmenu2x that I posted a screenshot of a while back and then forgot to finish.  I'm still hoping it'll save me a little bit of disk space on the jffs once I get an  executable package finalized.


Heh, I couldn't even get a single goodie posted before I got distracted by the movgrab youtube downloader.  It integrates reasonably well with the openwrt links browser and mozzwald's youtube search portal.  For now, the details are in the zipit IRC logs.  I have not yet tested the IZ2S version.

movgrab-wrt-176x144.tgz
movgrab-iz2s.zip

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the linenoise library.  I'd like to investigate the various incarnations of this tiny readline replacement lib.  I suspect it'll make for a nice, but still tiny, improvement to the interactive mode of picoc and a much smaller interactive build of bc, with linenoise instead of the rather large readline lib.

And another thing I almost forgot.  I compiled a full build of the flite text to speech program just in case anyone wants to use the nicer voices, even though they're too slow for the real-time conversion required for bard.  The first tarball is the full executable, with all the voices together.  It's pretty big.  The other tarball contains everything else from the build, including all the individual executables for the voices.

flitetest.tgz
flitebin.tgz

7 comments:

  1. Bonjour,
    Because of too much work, the only thing I did was to borrow a 32GB µSD card and read, write, and swap it with iz2jffs. Success ! But maybe I was just lucky ! I must buy different brands to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a big success! What brand of SD card was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a 1 fat partition Sandisk iirc, my friend is actually unreachable to confirm. Maybe I was just lucky...
    I have tested the shift-volume to scroll forward and backward with mpg123 and it works as expected.
    => I have updated the keymaps, you can find them in both z2-kbd.zip and calc.zip.
    I try to put together WRAC, a web-radio-alarm-clock, compilation of some of your last iz2s goodies. From my last tests, it is stable and looks pretty.
    Are abook, sc, teapot, calcurse, ncurse programs ?
    Please, send me your openwrt Makefile for pspmaps, it misses to the archive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After information, it was not a Sandisk, it was a Taiwanese noname. I hope it was not a fake. I have ordered 2 32GB cards, a Transcend C4 and a Power Silicon. I will report about them.
    My lack of programming skills does not let me go farer than that with a web-radio-alarm-clock: http://prototypeur.free.fr/wrac.zip
    You maybe have an advice ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try to look at the clock radio soon. But I really need to post the goodies listed above. I haven't made much progress because I got distracted by the movgrab youtube downloader.

    I think a very low bitrate (tiny) beeping mp3 file might be handy to have at the end of an alarm playlist, just in case the internet is unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true. Now the script pings google, plays a random beep if unreachable, radios if reachable. I have updated my previous archive http://prototypeur.free.fr/wrac.zip .
    I have received today my first 32g µSD card, a Power Silicon claas 4. I can read and write in it, the progs it contains lauch correctly, and even gmenu2x shows it's capacity !!!! I doubt we could boot IZ2S with such a card, but iz2jffs is great !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour,
    I have (finally!) received my second 32GB µSD card (the Transcend class4 one). It reacts just like the previous one, and I can swap between the two. I can confirm now that iz2jffs recognizes 32 gigs cards.

    ReplyDelete