Thursday, April 21, 2011

On a Lighter Note...

So maybe all that e-reading makes you tired.  You need some lighter fare, like say some e-comics.  Or maybe you just want to review a new batch of pics from your camera.  If so, perhaps you've been looking for something like o2xiv.  It's a simple batch image viewer from the gp2x that also happens to work pretty well on the zipit.  Just don't ask me how to get those pics transferred from your camera to the zipit.  Maybe you got one of them SD cards with the built in wifi in your camera.  If so, perhaps this is for you.


Careful, the zip file has the both the source code and a bin directory with executables for a bunch of different platforms.  You want the o2xiv.iz2s executable.  Put it in your bin directory and give it a shorter name that you can actually type on the zipit.  Or make a small wrapper script for it that kills that pesky blinkin cursor first.  It's up to you.

OK, enough with the fluffy light stuff.  Back in ancient times Gnu Emacs served a multitude of purposes as my preferred text editor, debugger, screen multiplexer, news reader, whatever...  Well it's back.  I finally compiled an IZ2S version of the real thing.  It uses every last bit of RAM and almost 100MB on the SD card (gotta prune it down a bit) but it's almost worth it.  Actually I'm not even close to sold on the tiny split screen.  But it makes for a nice screen shot.  Don't it?


emacs-iz2s.tar.bz2

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour,
    I cannot download o2xiv-iz2s.zip. A typo ?
    Anyway, many thanks for all these IZ2S goodies.
    I am far away from having the skills to do this
    by myself ! And I like IZ2S for its easiness
    and fluidity, perfect for the Linux beginner
    I am. I learned a lot with it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? You're still reading this silly blog. I'd better check my spelling...

    Anyhow, the o2xiv link should work now. I should note you can only view files that actually fit in whatever RAM you have available on the zipit. I just tried a 14 MegaPixel image and it refused to load it.

    ReplyDelete