Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Long Way Around the Top

I'm not exactly satisfied with the ebook contents page produced by zpub, so I thought maybe I could make zpub build the html using the same algorithm as the original script.  But that uses the bc utility to assemble it's javascript and xml contents, and bc isn't included with IZ2S, so I figured I'd build it and see if it helped. 

At around the same time, I somehow got to wandering around on the nanonote wiki where I happened upon a shiny picture of htop running on the nanonote.  Ooh, shiny... Had to have it!  So I compiled it and tweaked the screen and keys a bit to better fit the Z2.  I love the way it lets you scroll to the right to see the entire command line.  Way better than the usual run-of-the-mill top utility!


Also around the same time I got to thinking about how I still really wanted a C compiler for IZ2S.  What's wrong with me?  That's just stupid.  But sometimes the only way to get these crazy ideas out of my head is to just go ahead and do it.  So I did.  Well... Ok, it's not really a compiler per se, but the PicoC interpreter is probably a better fit for IZ2S anyhow.  Since I had some previous trouble with floating point math support on the zipit I built two versions: one without floating point support, and one with it.

Unfortunately, before I got to test it all that much, I stumbled upon an SDL patch for the links browserWhat?  How did I miss that before?  With this patch I should be able to make a version of links for IZ2S that works properly, with or without the mouse, and without requiring the messed up DirectFB libs.  If it works, I can finally toss out the broken IZ2S DirectFB libs and remake them correctly from scratch whenever I get back to working on fltk, xdialog, vnc, or any of my backburner projects that need a normal working version of DirectFB.

Anyhow, I tweaked the links-sdl patch a bit for the IZ2S screen size, and for the current version of links.  I also added link traversal via TAB and BackTAB, and horizontal scrolling with the <> keys to make it more workable with zipit keyboard and the fake "mouse".  Initial testing feels good.  Gotta get it finished soon so I can patch bc back into the zpub script and see if it helps before something else pops into my head...

See?  The "mouse" actually works.

Look in the Zipit Z2 Goodie Bag for links to all the stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment